I signed on to Wikia Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness. I got the conformation notice and when I clicked on it asked for my username, since it was different from my email, I put in my username with my password and I kept getting an error message saying it was wrong. There is a bug either in your program or mine. Please advise through my email I would like to get on to RAOGK. My username is WriterBarb
I got on Wikia RAOGK. Thanks
Margie's thoughts on day 2Edit
HELP ... hope someone is listening ...
I created this RAOGK wiki yesterday and really need some help.
1. I understand from a friend, thatt makes me the owner ... but how do I find out what responsibiliites and/or privileges the owner has?
2. How can I add administrators?
3. I don't like the template I've chosen ... how do I change it to something "simple"??? (I like the old plain white pages of the early familypedia/genwiki pages.
4. I have some tables on my pages ... the outer border shows but the cell borders do not. What do I need to do in the code to make all cells have borders? I also want the table to take up more of the page ... how do I do that?
5. How can I get rid of the annoying "Recent Activity" panel that persists on the right side of the page?
6. Is there a way to "force" people to sign in before using the wiki?
7. Is there a way to "force" people to sign in before allowing them to do edits? (My wiki at work does this)
8. Other wikis I've used also insist on the person who edits ... that they MUST enter something in the edit summary. Is there a way to "force" that also?
Am sure I'll have more questions ..
Cowantex 13:28, March 3, 2012 (UTC).
I had HOPED when creating this wiki that people could get to it easily by entering: raogk.wikia.com
When I enter that, the page that displays is: http://raogk.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WikiActivity
I have to click the wiki name in the upper left corner to get to my "home" page: http://raogk.wikia.com/wiki/Random_Acts_of_Genealogical_Kindness_Wiki
is there ANY way to "code" it so that raogk.wikia.com will take me to my "home" page ... I want this simple for people!!
Also, if I have an internal link ... how do I code it so that clicking the link either opens in a new browser tab or a new browser window?
Cowantex 13:52, March 3, 2012 (UTC)
- Margie, tell me if any of those questions are still unanswered, and I'll see if I can help. -- Robin Patterson (Talk) 04:29, May 30, 2012 (UTC)
Joan's thoughts, some time after day 2Edit
Honestly, I'm not interested in having my own wiki page on RAOGK. I have no use for a wiki page.
I would just prefer that someone make it easier for visitors to find the list of volunteers on this wiki.
Please release that I don't mean to come across as arrogant, pompous know-it-all but this page is somewhat difficult to navigate.
As it right now one has to move down to the bottom of the page to find incoherent jumble of information just to find the list of volunteers.
If you need free webspace for a genuine website for RAOGK please consider RootsWeb. It has free webspace for all genealogy related website.
This way RAOGK can be rebuilt to is former and easier to navigate glory.
Thanks for hearing me out.
Volunteer for Highland County, Ohio
Southpawphilly 12:28, May 26, 2012 (UTC)
Comments about the front pageEdit
(which is the main purpose of this talk page)
"Similarly, researchers would locate a volunteer by going to a state page and selecting a researcher from a list of counties and based on the volunteer's description of services they would perform." - there's a confusion of terms here, which would be best sorted out. I suggest that the people who put their names up for offering RAOK be consistently called "volunteers" even though some of what they do is research. People seeking RAOK are genealogical researchers all of the time and deserve to be called "researchers" throughout the site. -- Robin Patterson (Talk) 04:29, May 30, 2012 (UTC)